Entry #6

 Local Fun with the Family

One of the many reasons that I love Phoenix is the abundance of great family fun things to do.  In the spring and winter when the weather is a perfect 70 degrees you can go hiking, play at a park, go to the zoo, walk around downtown and shop, or stroll along Tempe Beach Park.  The summer and early fall however is a different story, and it can feel like you’re living in an oven.  Thankfully we have some very fun indoor activities to do as well that are great for people of any age.  One of my favorite place to go is a jump park, and Phoenix has many of them to choose from.  Most of them offer trampolines, rock climbing walls, obstacle courses and just this last weekend we went to one with an indoor go cart track.  Phoenix also has lots of museums and educational activities that are a fun way to beat the heat such as The Phoenix Art Museum, Childrens Museum, Natural History Museum, Heard Museum, and a Science Center.  You can catch a show at the Planetarium in the Science Center or just walk around the and learn about many different subjects.

Some of these options can get expensive, especially if you have a large family.  One of our favorite places to go for free any time of the year is our local libraries.  During the week in the evenings, they host a craft time or STEM activity where you can bring your kids and participate in a new activity every week.  On Tuesday we go to the Phoenix Cholla main library at 5pm for this event and on Thursday we go to the Glendale main library for their craft time.  These events are free, fun and can be enjoyed by kids of any age.

My son pictured above at craft time

Above is a picture I took of the Children's Programs offered

Another benefit that is offered at the library other than the books, computers, and study areas is the ability to check out a CulturePass.  This is another free service that gives you free single use passes to many different attractions around the state.  This is something I have taken advantage of on several occasions.  My favorites from the pass have been The Desert Botanical Garden and a tour of the Arcosanti project just north of the valley.  So next time you are looking for something fun to do with your family but don’t want to break the bank go to your local library and check it out. 

 

 

Comments

  1. Hi, Marlena! I just moved to Arizona not too long ago. I wasn't aware of the enormous amounts of activities provided to the kids in our community. I have a younger brother and sister, so I'm sure they'd enjoy doing some of these things.Thank you so much for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marlena, I really like this post a lot I like how you didn't just make a blog about the activities the community offers but you personally participate in these activities. I also think it is great that you included free activities as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment